September 28, 2006

"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"

My journey with a particular blog was one I never thought I would see all the way through. It was about 10 months ago I was searching through blogs on blogger, looking for cancer information. Any cancer blogs, because my bf had been recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I was searching aimlessly for answers and guidance. What could I do as a friend to make things better? Even though it seemed superficial. Because well, it felt unreal and there were no words for how I was feeling.

That is when I came across this blog. Like a daily vitamin I faithfully stop by about every day. Amanda was great about updating
cancer, it's not just an astrological sign.

As I followed her blog and Amanda & Eric's lives I felt like a part of me really knew them. What they liked to do and how she lived her everyday life. Amanda was sharing her daily struggles and joys. Never having met them face to face, shyly leaving comments here and there when I thought my two words would matter.

It was March of this year, I hadn't been over to Amanda's blog. So I clicked on my favorites. There it was in black and white. Eric has passed and the words were hard to read. It was pure unadulterated anger and hurt. I was in tears. Here I sat in the dark starring blankly at my computer in tears.

All because Amanda shared her story/life to make a difference in someone else's life. Reading her blog made a difference in my life. Now I would like to do my part. In April, she wrote a closing letter on her blog that once again brought me to tears. When she signed off her blog she left it with the chance that she might blog again, but no given time frame. Well she is back and here is what she says:

But do you know what? I am coming back--stronger, wiser, and kicking more metaphorical ass than I have before. This blog is my journal of grief, cancer advocacy, and whatever the hell else I feel like writing about and and you can find Amanda here .


Which brings me to the reason for this post. I am joining efforts with Amanda & Eric to help raise donations and make Eric's dream come alive.

Eric's unlce has made a pledge to do this:

2174.6 mile Appalachian Trail thru hike to cure Leukemia
5,000,000 steps to a cure! Welcome to Walk for a Cure 2007! I am planning a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail (AT) for 2007. In doing this I hope to raise funds for the fight against Leukemia and other blood disease. My nephew Eric Shaffer passed away in March 2006 after a lengthy battle with leukemia. He was 24 years old and dreamed of one day hiking the AT. Please help me make other peoples dreams become realities by donating funds to help find a cure for leukemia. Millions of people are counting on us! All donations are deductible for income tax purposes. Donations here are immediate. If you would like to make a per mile PLEDGE to my hike, email me at shafferm58@hotmail.com and I will send you a letter and pledge form.


If you have time stop by and read Amanda's tribute to Eric. Let's join together and see this dream through. Click on the 5.000,000 steps. Even better post the button on your blog. Email Amanda to get the code.

Today I have a dream that everyone who has been touched by cancer will be healed in some form. Given strength and courage to make footprints in the sand. Every chance I can I'm fighting to put an end to this disease and to help my special friend Nichol and others touched by cancer. Join me.

5 Comments:

Blogger The G Family said...

can't write much of a comment...tears, tears, tears.
You are making a difference and I love you for everything you do to help, really, you are a blessing to us all!!! Thank you my friend!

September 27, 2006 4:22 PM  
Blogger amanda said...

Thanks so much! I greatly appreciate you blogging this. I hope that we reach Uncle Mark's goal too...it would be awesome to be able to donate that much to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society...

September 27, 2006 4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for linking that. I really appreciate it....I teared up myself. You are such an amazing friend and blogger.

Love you, HHM!

September 27, 2006 7:45 PM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

That was a really good read. It's amazing how someone can touch you with words.

September 28, 2006 5:57 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

nichol-you make me tear up. stop!
Amanda, it is my pleasure
Dana- swak right back.
mon-sincing blogging I have realized the way words can draw someone in

September 28, 2006 12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Designed by www.troll-babygraphics.com

email is fun

hhmomma

Image hosting by Photobucket

the latest

cruising and boozing
Just do it
going to have you naked by the end of this
mixed bag o'crap
Mc-Seabiscuit
I did not have relations
I do
dreaming of love
feeling like a shit parent
Photographic moments

old school

blogs that make me smile

the rings

credits

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics