August 10, 2006

sign language-corner pocket

I forgot to mention that last weekend when we were here for a dinner party,
HHM had a moment of clarity. I like to think of myself as a fairly social person. Definitely not the type to stand in a corner and pretend to sip and stir my drink. I can exchange banter about most topics. You get my point. So when we were invited to a dinner party we figured for a good time-the hosts are great. We really enjoy their company. We have had dinner with them a handful of times. This time around the company that attended this particular dinner party was a different story. Let me start by saying it was the boys club all the way. The host(Anna) and myself were the only women with the exception of HHgirl. In all there were about 10 men. They is usualy a good thing. Sitting at a large table drinking wine and discussing post cards to Fidel Castro. Anna the host speaks English but sometime her accent makes for difficult conversation. So we do the best we can.



We all sat down to dinner after some small talk, introductions and of course some wine. Everyone (meaning all the men) were friendly and mostly welcoming. They were all engineers or in professions along those lines. I was dumbfounded with the coversation. Can someone please pass a fork for my eye? I glace down at the other end of the table to HHH and he gave me the signal that he to was ready for another glass of wine. Spoon to shove in my ear?


This was one of the only times I can recall sitting at a table and I had absolutely nothing to offer to the conversation. The were speaking some seriously foreign shit. I can decipher baby talk but not this. Really I can't even give you an example, because it was not noteworthy. Maybe this says more about me then it does about the men. One fella was nice enough to show photos of the loo at his work. See where I am going with this.


Anyway the highlight was when the men were talking about reading Chinese or Japanese. One of the gentlemen I happened to be sitting next to perked up and proclaimed "like all those young girls running around with tattoos of Asian symbols" "they have no idea if the tattoo says chopstick or something defamatory"

Hhmomma concurrently squirms a little in her seat and pull her pants up a little bit. Because I have a lovely kanji symbol that I believe to depict the terms "hope & courage" on my lower back. It has been a long running joke that this tattoo says "hot and sour." I like my tattoo. Really I want to just slide under the table. Why I don't know? Really who cares what these people think. It was just a bit ironic that I ended up being the butt of a joke. Literally. On the other hand there was a part of me that would have loved to bend over and show them my sign!


* On a side note my friend had her inlaws in town for the weekend. They were over at her place getting ready to shoot some pool. The sister-in-law was getting ready to cue up the balls and notice that there was something worth checking out in the side pocket.
Slowly she pulls the something out. They are a pair of panties. Oh look it is my friends G-string underwear. Let's pass around the underwear! How is that for a nice visit with the family?

6 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

I hate going to places with the your SO that involves work talk. *yawn*. But then again, I work with most of my closest friends so he is subjected to it whenever we get together!

August 10, 2006 7:39 AM  
Blogger Kel said...

Don't you just hate those times when you can't even make small talk?

It would of been funny to see the look on their faces, had you showed them your sign. LOL

BTW I wanted to thank you for voting for me for MOTW. I didn't get a chance to thank you sooner with everything going on.

August 10, 2006 7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh....the underwear thing is hilarious! I'm going to laugh all day about that!

August 10, 2006 7:59 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

Good battle!

Sorry this is a bit off-topic, but ask and ye shall receive.

An Open-Ended Course in Photography

August 10, 2006 12:25 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

Mon: yeah to much work talk is never good.
Specially when it isnt about my work. HAAA
Kell: did you win?
Tracy: A new tatt?
Dana,Jenny:
my friend will be proud when she reads this post about her underwear story! Thanks for stopping by.

August 10, 2006 9:31 PM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

Nope, I lost. :)

I wasn't expecting to win much yesterday, since it was a pic of myself. It was a good pic, but still.

August 11, 2006 6:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Designed by www.troll-babygraphics.com

email is fun

hhmomma

Image hosting by Photobucket

the latest

caption this
my first bucket
supermom and blog food expo
winner, winner, not a chicken dinner
stripper poles, die-ra and mamms
Give me a, H
we from the hills, mamma
leaping lilly pads
sometimes no words are necessary
top ten signs your pilot is drunk

old school

blogs that make me smile

the rings

credits

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics