August 09, 2006

my first bucket




I was reading over at someone's blog (sorry I can't give you the proper credit-short term memory) but their thoughts inspired me to write about my first car. In their post they mentioned Volkswagen recently came out with a new re-vamped Rabbit.


Do you remember the VW Rabbit? You hardly see these cars on the road anymore. I definitely remember this particular make of VW. The VW Rabbit was my very first ride in 1986. Hopefully divulging this information won't date me. I loved my heap.


I came about the car by sheer luck. Had I not lucked into this situation it may have been awhile before my parents were able to purchase a car for me. My boyfriend(ah young love) at the time, his best friend and family were moving to Singapore. So they had to unload(like hot diamonds) the 1971 Rabbit. This baby was a silver-green and had a cool sunroof. The fact that it had wheels and engine were a selling point, but so was the lid. You remember the kind of sunroof that rolled down with a handle. Back in the day when we had to do a little work to roll a window or sunroof down. I remember it like it was 20 years ago. The whole car smelled like Drakar cologne. Not by choice.


Since the day my parents purchased this car for me, I have always had a sunroof. Sunroofs are the best. If you can't afford a convertible the sunroof is the next best thing! Something about that open air.


In 1986 my parents paid $1200 for this car. This was big bucks. Really I was very lucky to have a car and at 16. I also recall having a "pull out" stereo. The problem with this type of stereo was that I thought I could out smart the thief who felt the need to take stereos from cars.


I would go over to the mall with my friends for a day of shopping. I would park my car and pull that baby out of the dash, promptly shove the stereo under my seat. Be on my way. Because of course no thief would ever look under the seat of a car for a stereo.


After about the second stereo loss, I got smart. This of course had nothing to do with the fact that my father told me this was going to be the last time he would replace the stereo.

You just can't cruise with out tunes. Am I wrong? By the way why have I been listening to Gold Digger by Kanye West?


After this car, I had a VW Golf. I loved that car also. It took me through college and back. Many a road trips from Chico to the Bay Area. VWs' last longer then any car I know.


What was your first bucket? What did you love or not love so much about your ride?

4 Comments:

Blogger Fizzgig said...

Memories! Wow, my first heap was literally a heap. A Maroon Ford Grenada with a hole rusted through the floor and the front bench seat propped up on a wood block to keep it from falling thru. And no dashboard lights so at night I didnt know my speed. And the gas gauge didn't work. But,it ran like a trooper! My boyfriend got the same exact car, color and everything. We were twinkies!

I have a sunroof now, I'll always have one, you always have sunshine on your head, even if you cant open it all the way.

August 09, 2006 6:27 AM  
Blogger The G Family said...

I remember it was me and you in our VW Rabbits however mine was a lovely BROWN....But you got it right, it had an engine and wheels and that's all that mattered. Ohhh I had that sunroof too that made you look like you were practicing your lassoing skills for the next rodeo when you were simply trying to crank open the roof. Hey, remember when we faked out those guys we knew in your rabbit? You pretended like you ran out of gas while we were following them and then when they got out and pushed us you started it up and drove off (I guess we didn't really want to follow them). Haaaaa, the thought of that still cracks me up. Good times in the VW rabbits

August 09, 2006 9:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting car. I didn't know there was a VW Rabbit. How funny.

August 09, 2006 12:13 PM  
Blogger Becca said...

I am cracking up about the car descriptions. SO funny!
The good old days.
Dana I wonder why you never heard of the rabbit?

August 09, 2006 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Designed by www.troll-babygraphics.com

email is fun

hhmomma

Image hosting by Photobucket

the latest

supermom and blog food expo
winner, winner, not a chicken dinner
stripper poles, die-ra and mamms
Give me a, H
we from the hills, mamma
leaping lilly pads
sometimes no words are necessary
top ten signs your pilot is drunk
cinderella
Mama says om-simple theme

old school

blogs that make me smile

the rings

credits

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics