September 01, 2006

mouth-to-mouth





HHgirl and I head over to the gym for a kickboxing class. I put HHgirl in the day care and head upstairs to the class. About 40 minutes into the class I decide that I've had enough. I walk downstairs to pick up HHgirl and start on our way home.

As we are strolling by the pool, my cell phone rings (phew no gas stations). It's HHhubby on the line. I suggest that he bring HHboy over to the pool and the kids can swim.

My boys show up and everyone is having a great time.

HHboy was floating around on kiddie tube. HHgirl was jumping in face first.

HHhubby decides to playfully throw an additional tube over HHboys head.

HHboy stands and is laughing hystrerically.

A few minutes later, I look and I can't differentiate between the laughing and crying.

Is hhboy crying or laughing?

Shit.

The tubes are holding him up in the water and he is off his feet.

He is drowning.

S-l-o-w- M-o-t-i-o-n

I jump in the pool in all my workout clothes and throw the tubes off him and pick him up.

Poor guy. He has swallowed his body weight in water.

As we calm him down I look up, here is the remander of my classmates retreating from the now finished class. I am in the middle of the pool in my gym clothes.


Everything was okay. And NO joke, about 2 seconds later the HHboy was back at it in the pool.

What a reminder though. Even when you are sitting 5 feet from your kids, you have to be fully aware of the powerfulness of water.

On this note, enjoy your labor day weekend and be safe!

12 Comments:

Blogger hotdrwife said...

HOLY SMOKES!!

Glad things turned out alright.

My brother had two swimming pool related incidents - one changing his life forever - as a child. You're right - always be aware!

A good reminder.

September 01, 2006 5:57 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

YIKES!!! A reminder that you look away for a second....sheesh! Love that he got right back in...such a water boy...and HHgirl jumping in face first...you got yourself a couple of fish....

September 01, 2006 6:31 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

OMG, that is so scarey. Thank goodness he wasn't afraid to go back into the water!!

September 01, 2006 7:53 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

The thought of that is still freaking me out. I'm so glad my boy is okay.............

September 01, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Heather @ thedomesticdiva.org said...

eesshh! what a scare! my heart would have been outside my body...beating. I'm sure I would have had the shakes afterwards. Glad everything is ok.

September 01, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Wow! Thank goodness you were there!

I'm so glad he is alright... damn, that just sent fear right through me as a parent.

September 01, 2006 10:17 PM  
Blogger Mama Duck said...

Oh my goodness, how scary, gives me chills just thinking about it. I'm so glad he is ok!!

September 02, 2006 6:09 AM  
Blogger Shelly said...

I can only imagine the gut fall feeling you had. I used to be a lifeguard, (waaaay back in the day) and you're right, it only takes seconds for something to happen. Thank goodness you were there and he's okay!

September 04, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Neurotic Mom said...

C & C monday, have a great day.

September 04, 2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Fizzgig said...

Wow! Good thing you were there to save the day! Bet that was scarey!!

September 05, 2006 7:47 AM  
Blogger Becca said...

Thank you so much for all the comments and well wishes. It sounds worse then it could have been. it was SO SCARY just the same.
You guys are awesome!

September 05, 2006 12:54 PM  
Blogger Tonya said...

Hello! I found you through The Pink Diary.

I had a similar situation with my daughter when she was 3. We were swimming at the indoor rec center pool, and I had gone to take my son to the bathroom. My daughter was still in the kiddie pool, so I asked my sister and SIL to watch her while I was gone. They looked away for a second, and I rounded the corner to see my daughter underwater with her hair floating around. I ran over, grabbed her hair and pulled her to me until I could get a good enough grip to pull her up out of the water. She was fine and kept right on swimming. I guess so many kids piled into the pool that it raised the water over her head in the very spot where she had been playing with no problem earlier.

This is only one incident where my daughter scared the living daylights out of me. She's the child that is going to make me old before my time.

September 07, 2006 2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Designed by www.troll-babygraphics.com

email is fun

hhmomma

Image hosting by Photobucket

the latest

introspect
tsk tsk hothousemomma
everyone does it
Priceless
debut at fluff
Stimulating or
keeping the peace
cheers
go team pork chop
wing it

old school

blogs that make me smile

the rings

credits

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics