January 30, 2006

off the soap box, Oprah

Who has read " A Million Little Pieces?" I believe that I may be one of the few people that hasn't. Lately,I've been listening to all the "memoir" banter on Larry King and Oprah I feel I must speak up. My suggestion is that we all go out and purchase this book and smoke a fat one in applause of James Frey.
Originally, I was actually siding with Oprah. I thought what a "con." Then I thought, isn't a memoir an account of the personal experiences of the author. Well damn then, maybe this is all he can recall- since he was dabbling in the drugs. We all like a little hollywood in our books. Since hearing parts of various interviews I think we should just leave it alone. No one asked Oprah to endorse the book. I have to say books are for personal enjoyment and entertainment. I don't get the feeling that this book was meant to be a history book. More like a personal journey through this mans addictions. I think Oprah spoke before she thought it through. Now she wants to cover her own ars. So let's give kudos to Mr. Frey for recovering.
I am now temporarily stepping down from my soap box.

2 Comments:

Blogger BKR said...

Tell me about it- Oprah talking to him about it was like the Iran Contra Hearings and he was doing the junkie version of "I don't recall senator." I mean - drug abusers aren't known for their outstanding grip on reality during a bender! I think he wrote a great book with amazing prose in order to seduce such a crowd of people - are we going to lynch everyone for taking artistic liberty. I mean memories have very romantic versions of the truth. And yes, there are versions of the truth, just ask any couple about their fist date and listen to the different "versions of the truth" - HA

January 31, 2006 9:09 PM  
Blogger Dolores said...

Reading a book is a choice a person makes. it is for personal enjoyment...and not done to pass judgment on someone.
Does Oprah think she is "god"?? Seems like she jumped on the same couch as Tom Cruise.......and they are both off my want to see or listen to list.

February 05, 2006 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Designed by www.troll-babygraphics.com

email is fun

hhmomma

Image hosting by Photobucket

the latest

old school

blogs that make me smile

the rings

credits

Designed by Troll Baby Graphics